October 21, 2009

how to get the world's best job: Oct. 22

When I graduated with my undergraduate degree I was fairly certain of two things: I wanted a job on a college campus and I wanted a job doing something internationally-related. I pursued a graduate degree, got married, moved to Charlotte and was introduced to the field of international education.

Here was an entire professional trajectory devoted to "international" on "college campuses" (and beyond). So, I pulled together three part-time gigs in the UNC Charlotte vicinity - some teaching, some higher ed administration and some non-profit administration. Eventually it whittled down to full-time non-profit and part-time teaching; then it transitioned to full-time higher ed administration (in international education!) and part-time teaching; now, it's full-time, all out international education through higher ed. It was a process - still is.

So, I figured it out for now. It was perhaps the long approach and not entirely deliberate, but it got me a position in the most exciting office on campus (I'm biased, but that should be obvious)- Office of International Programs -"international" and "campus" requirements fulfilled.

On October 22 from 12-2, there will be a Careers in Student Affairs Resource Fair in the Student Union Multipurpose Room 340 A/D, and international education will be represented. I'll have information available on what you can do now (how to be international at UNC Charlotte), and what to consider when you graduate (graduate degrees and professional affiliations) if you're interested in a career in international education. There is also a panel and reception for students interested in student affairs on October 22 from 6-8 in the Lucas Room of the Cone Center.

This is a great way to get info now so you don't have to be completely surprised by career options - it's worth it.


Rebecca Vincent
Coordinator of International Initiatives

No comments:

Post a Comment